Renaissance Club passes out Scholar Athlete T-shirts for spring sports season

Jashayla Pettigrew, Reporter

The black scholar athlete T-shirts from the last year. The color is changed each year so that students won’t get the same shirt twice.

After each sports season, Pattonville’s Renaissance Club passes out free T-shirts to athletes who have earned a 3.0 or above GPA while playing a varsity sport. However, during the spring, athletes who earned a shirt in a previous season for the same school year do not get one again.

Renaissance club members like Aaron Garner like to participate because it rewards students who excel in the classroom and on the field.

“It honors kids for doing well in school and also playing a sport.”

In addition to the T-shirt, the scholar athletes get a certificate that states “Congratulations for maintaining a 3.0+ GPA while playing a varsity sport.”

The Scholar-Athlete chairmen as well as other Renaissance club members come together to fold T-shirts and make these certificates in the Writing Center.

Shirts are usually distributed during classes but due to EOC exam scheduling, they were just put in the mailboxes of the first hour teachers.