Six staff members at the high school are preparing for the last school day of their career

As students prepare for the last school day of the the year, six staff members at the high school are preparing for the last school day of their career. They were honored at the District Appreciation Night on May 7 and were honored again at a retirement luncheon at the high school on May 15. The retirees each received a School Bell Award, a tradition at Pattonville School District, and had their bios shared at both events. The following bios were originally printed in the District Appreciation Night program.

Nathan Bachelder, Spanish teacher, 1990-2018

In addition to teaching, Nathan Bachelder shared his knowledge of Spanish by teaching evening community education classes and, for 15 years, summer enrichment courses for elemantary students. He has a bachelor’s in music education from Biola University in California and a master’s in Spanish education from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Before coming to Pattonville, Bachelder taught K-12 music and Spanish in California, Ecuador and St. Louis. His best Pattonville memory was the phone call he got from Annette Houston-Bresnahan in April 1990 informing him that he could join the Pattonville family as an educator. Bachelder’s 28 years in Pattonville have been wonderful and he looks forward to subbing from time to time. In retirement, Bachelder plans to spend quality time with his wife Paula and other family, including his grandchildren, and maybe teach a few more Bible studies.

John Gaffney, building custodial supervisor, 1991-2018 (not pictured)

John Gaffney graduated from Normandy High School and earned a bachelor’s degree from Lindenwood College (now Lindenwood University). When Gaffney came to Pattonville, he had already owned three companies – in construction, painting and cleaning. During his Pattonville career, Gaffney also played professional racquetball, ranking sixth in the nation when he retired in 1998. Gaffney has enjoyed being a part of the improvements in Pattonville, watching it grow and seeing it become one of the best schools arounds. “I have pride in myself and my great staff that no matter what obstacles we have been faced with – construction, bond issues – we have always has the school ready for the first day,” he said. He hopes staff continue to do a great job and teachers continue to educate students well and that Pattonville continues to grow and be one of the top high schools in the state. As much as Gaffney has enjoyed working at Pattonville and will miss it, he is on to a new adventure and looking forward to enjoying time with his wife and family, visiting the Lake of the Ozarks often and building a new home.

Bridget Jordan, food service director, 1981-2018

Bridget Jordan started at Chartwells in 1981 and served as the food service director for three other distrcits before coming to Pattonville. She has a bachelor’s in general dietetics from Fontbonne College (now Fontbonne University). She is thankful to have been included in everything at Pattonville and has enjoyed working with great people and a wonderful community. In retirement, she plans to spend time with her grandchildren and their activities and time at the lake.

Rick Lehman, SSD teacher, 1980-2018

Rick Lehman, SSD teacher, 1980-2018

Edna Nichols, English teacher, 2001-2018

Edna Nichols earned her associate’s from St. Louis Community College-Florissant Valley, bachelor’s in psychology from Maryville University and master’s in secondary curriculum and instruction from the University of Missouri-St. Louis. She started working in a group home teaching adults with disabilities. After that, she taught at Fort Zumwalt North High School for six years. In retirement, she plans to move to Colorado, travel and write a book.

Ms. Kathleen Shearrer, chemistry teacher, 1995-2018

When the school year ends, Kathleen Shearrer is excited to spend retirement rehabbing her 100-year-old farmhouse, playing with her grandchildren and traveling. At Pattonville, Shearrer was the science department leader for two years starting in 2013. Prior to Pattonville, she taught chemistry and biology at Hickman High School in Columbia, Missouri, and eighth-grade science at Ladue Middle School. She has a bachelor’s in biological sciences and secondary education from the University of Missouri-Columbia and a master’s in secondary administration from Lindenwood University.