Whittinghill plays in his final year as a high school football player

Jacob+Whittinghill+%2835%29+is+playing+in+his+fourth+season+of+football+with+Pattonville+High+School.+He+holds+up+four+fingers+as+the+Pirates+start+the+4th+quarter+against+Kirkwood+on+Sept.+21.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Jacob Whittinghill (35) is playing in his fourth season of football with Pattonville High School. He holds up four fingers as the Pirates start the 4th quarter against Kirkwood on Sept. 21.

Nathan Schiermeyer, Writer

The Pirates are 4-1 and coming off a win against the previously unbeaten Kirkwood Pioneers.

There is still plenty of season left to play but senior Jacob Whittinghill is getting prepared for his final season of high school football.

After being upset in the state championship game last year, he has come into this season with a chip on his shoulder alongside the rest of the team returning and plans to make it back to Columbia for another shot at the title. So far, they are on the right track.

Whittinghill is a varsity defensive end and has been playing football since his freshman year. He started playing as a linebacker and later moved to the defensive end position for his final season.

“It was a big change for me,” he said. “I had to learn to play on the line but I feel like it was a good change.”

Many athletes dream of moving on to become a professional, and that isn’t any different for players at Pattonville.

“I would love to continue playing, but I know that I have to step up my game first since it is my final season.”

Whittinghill isn’t a starter this season but he believes he is still getting looks from college programs and is expecting to play more minutes later this season.

The Pirates this season are starting off strong and the depth of their roster is filled with new talent hoping to live up to the hype.

Whittinghill and the Pattonville Pirates hit the road this week against Rockwood Summit on Sept. 28. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.