High-powered offense takes to the air in win

Pattonville%E2%80%99s+senior+OL%2FDE+Darrion+Robinson+chases+down+the+Rockwood+Summit+%0Aquarterback.+The+Pirates+defeated+the+Falcons+42-14.+
Pattonville’s senior OL/DE Darrion Robinson chases down the Rockwood Summit 
quarterback. The Pirates defeated the Falcons 42-14.

Pattonville’s senior OL/DE Darrion Robinson chases down the Rockwood Summit quarterback. The Pirates defeated the Falcons 42-14.

Madison Brown

Madison Brown

Tayler Smith, Sports writer

Everything went Pattonville’s (5-1) way at Rockwood Summit on Friday as they made off with a 48-14 victory.

Wide receiver Vicario Upchurch scored three times on passes from quarterback Andre Webb. His three touchdown receptions totaled 188 yards in the air (81, 53, 54).

“I wouldn’t say he is my favorite target because I can rely on any of my receivers to make the catch, but he’s faster and taller and I can go to him a lot easier,” Webb said.

For the past few games this season, Upchurch has been a frequent target for Webb, but connections that would’ve been touchdowns have been called back because of penalties.

“It was a better feeling than usual because I got to a point where I was used to turning around and seeing flags on the play,” Upchurch said.

The high-powered Pirates who have scored more than 42 points in a game four times this season are being led by Webb who ranks No. 2 in the area for Best Passing Rating.

He has 34 completions on 50 attempts for a total of 758 yards this season. He has six passing touchdowns, four of which came in the game against the Falcons.

“I felt great and the line did what they had to do so I could do what I needed to do.”

Webb though is not concerned with the numbers next to his name.

“It’s cool, but that’s just stats and I don’t care about those,” he said. “I just want to go out and win the game.”

With Sam Sanderson in the backfield, the Pirates have been able to continue a 5-game winning streak.

The senior running back has 86 carries and has collected 689 yards on the ground this season and has gotten into the end zone 18 times. That’s good for a total of 112 points and the second spot on the area’s Top Scorers List.

The defense even contributed to the scoring efforts in the Pirates win.

Just 27 seconds after Upchurch’s 81-yard catch-and-run in the 2nd quarter, Reggie Oliphant scooped up a fumble on Summit’s first play after the kickoff and took it back to the endzone for a 56-yard score.

That extended the Pirates lead to 27-0 before the Falcons were finally able to score.

Tonight, the Pirates take on Marquette (4-2) on Senior Night.

Currently Pattonville is No. 10 in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch Large Schools rankings. Marquette is sitting On the Bubble. If the Pirates want to continue to climb the list, another win is crucial.

The players will be wearing black jerseys with black pants and hints of pink to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The student section will be dressed in a Pink Out theme.