The best opponents Pattonville football faced this season

Quarterback+Andre+Webb+carries+the+ball+against+the+De+Smet+defense+in+a+playoff+game+on+Nov.+2.+
Quarterback Andre Webb carries the ball against the De Smet defense in a playoff game on Nov. 2.

Mikayla Bridges, Sports Reporter

This season, Pattonville football faced some of the best players in the state.

Since the Jamboree, the Pirates went up against some soon-to-be Division I players. At that first match-up, the Pirates faced off in a tough match against Trinity. Trinity is by far the most stacked team in the area with multiple top prospects. Unfortunately, we never got to see Pattonville play them for a full 48 minutes. However, we have seen Pattonville against other top-ranked players.

On Sept. 7, the Pirates faced off against Parkway North. The 18-0 sweep may have distracted you from one of the state’s Top 5 players: safety Jalani Williams. In that game, he only totaled 4 solo tackles and offensively had one reception for 3 yards. Also playing in that game was wide receiver C.J. Boone. Boone had 2 receptions for 43 yards and 2 kickoff returns for 65 yards.

In the fifth week, Pattonville played Kirkwood. During that game, a more memorable opponent showed out: Maurice Massey. Massey, a Mizzou commit, only had one touchdown but his athletic ability still showed. Massey attempted 2 rushes for 11 yards, 5 receptions for 75 yards, and 4 kickoff returns for 94 yards. Also playing well in that game was defensive end Arvell Ferguson Jr. He totaled 8 tackles with 5 being solo and 1 for a loss. Ferguson is also a Mizzou commit.

On Homecoming, the Pirate’s offensive line faced one of their best opponents yet, Moses Okpala. Ladue’s Okpala is a 6-foot-7-inch, 250 pound strong side defensive end . He played exceptionally well, managing to ram in 11 tackles, 3 of which were for a loss, and 1 sack.

With exceptions to the Ladue and De Smet games, Pattonville has fared well against these tough opponents.

Last Friday, Pattonville  lined up against the De Smet Spartans. The Spartans were victorious and are continuing on their road to state.  Their star player is junior WR Jordan Johnson. Johnson gets his reception from another strong athlete quarterback Nate Martens.

Johnson caught 5 passes for 82 yards, however, he was held to only one touchdown. Martens did significantly better. He completed 15 of his 18 pass attempts for a completion rate of 83.33 percent. Martens threw for 232 yards for 2 touchdowns and ran 23 yards, resulting in 1 rushing touchdown.

Related Story:

OPINION Quarterback match-up: Comparing De Smet’s Martens to Pattonville’s Webb