OPINION Quarterback match-up: Comparing De Smet’s Martens to Pattonville’s Webb

Quarterback+Andre+Webb+hands+the+ball+off+to+running+back+Sam+Sanderson.+
Quarterback Andre Webb hands the ball off to running back Sam Sanderson.

Mikayla Bridges, Sports Reporter

This week’s game will be big for Pirate football. The Pirates will travel to the De Smet Spartans home field in a District semifinal game set to kickoff at 7 p.m. on Nov. 2.

Both teams are 8-2. This should have a huge showing from the Spartan’s QB Nate Martens. Martens is a top-rated prospect for the state of Missouri and has committed to the University of Northern Iowa, alma mater of Pattonville’s head coach Steve Smith. In order to throw Martens off, I’m hoping to see a big game from the Pattonville defensive line and quarterback Andre Webb.

The two quarterbacks are very strong. Martens and Webb have both scored 4 rushing touchdowns. Martens is more of a thrower than Webb, having thrown 1,638 yards compared to Webb’s 990. However, what Webb doesn’t throw for, he runs for. Webb has rushed 704 yards on 92 attempts whereas Martens has attempted 85 runs but only obtained 298 yards. Even though the two have the same completion rate of about 61 percent, Martens is ranked higher because of his QB rating. Martens’ rating is 124.517, nearly 9 points higher than Webb’s 115.575. The rating is calculated from a very complex math formula. The formula factors in attempts, completions, interceptions, and yardage.

Regardless of the rankings, I think this is still a very close match-up. Martens has a reliable throwing game and an exceptional wide receiver in Jordan Johnson.

Just as strong, Webb has his running game and running back Sam Sanderson’s reliable strength.