Wilkes elaborates as football season comes to an end

Isaiah+Wilkes+was+injured+early+in+the+season.+He+made+his+return+in+the+game+against+Rockwood+Summit.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Isaiah Wilkes was injured early in the season. He made his return in the game against Rockwood Summit.

Madison Brown

Madison Brown

Madison Brown

Brandon Clark, Sports Writer

The final chapter of the Pirates football season ended on Nov. 2 when the team lost to De Smet Jesuit High School, 35-7.

The Pirates had a more memorable postseason a year earlier when the team made a run to the Class 5 state championship game.

However, before the start of this year’s season, critics questioned the Pirates and wondered if last year’s playoff run was simply a “fluke.”

It was a magical season once again for the Pattonvillle program as they strolled their way into the playoffs after being doubted by many. Standout senior defensive end Isaiah Wilkes talked about this season and its outcomes.

“You know, overall I think this season was a win for our guys,” Wilkes said. “We came into the year being doubted because we lost all of our seniors last year who were all-state players.”

Because the school’s freshman class was so big this year, Pattonville moved up to Class 6 for football which meant the competition would be a lot more challenging than it was just a season ago.

“The fact that we were able to go out there and win seven games this year made a statement about how our team stepped up and lived to the hype of our state run last season” Wilkes said. “Our record (7-3) was definitely better than expected for us.”

Head football coach Steve Smith knew that he and his staff would have to prove the critics wrong. The home opener for the Pirates this year was an unusual match-up as the Pirates would take on a team from over an hour-and-a-half away, the Columbia-Hickman Kewpies.

Though the Kewpies finished 1-9 in 2017, they devastated the Pirates season-opener with a game-winning field goal with no time left on the clock. This game especially stung for a state championship-caliber squad to lose to such an unexpected opponent. The Kewpies finished 2-8 with their other victory coming against Truman on Oct. 12.

After this loss, the team caught fire, winning six straight, even knocking off the No. 3 ranked team in the state, the Kirkwood Pioneers, 42-32.

Unfortunately, there was a team that didn’t want Pattonville to win seven straight, and that was the undefeated Ladue Rams, who also happened to lose in the state championship game last year in Class 4. The Pirates scored only one sole touchdown as the Rams spoiled the homecoming game for Pattonville, 35-7. The Rams play West Plains on Nov. 17 for a chance to return to the state championship game.

The Pirates’ last three games happened to be in the rain and that definitely had a factor on how the team performed. The Pirates won their regular season finale at Ritenour and picked up a win at home in the first round of the MSHSAA state playoffs before dropping to De Smet on the road.

Just like last year, the team will unfortunately be losing several playmakers including the Webb twins (quarterback Andre Webb and wide receiver/defensive back Aaron Webb), most of the offensive line, Donovan Prott, Hayden LaZear, and Wilkes.

After losing about a dozen starters from last season, the team was able to bounce back and make the most of what they had.

Definitely don’t consider next season’s Pirates team a fluke because they have a great coaching staff and great potential within their underclassmen as well.