Comic book legend Stan Lee passes away at 95

Stan+Lee+speaking+at+the+2015+San+Diego+Comic-Con+International+in+San+Diego%2C+California.+%28Photo+from+Wikimedia+Commons%29+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Stan Lee speaking at the 2015 San Diego Comic-Con International in San Diego, California. (Photo from Wikimedia Commons)

Gage Skidmore

Gage Skidmore

Gage Skidmore

Brandon Clark, Journalist

Marvel Comic fans received some unfortunate news on Monday as 95-year-old Marvel co-founder Stan Lee passed away in Santa Monica, California.

Though the evidence is limited so far, Lee was rushed to the hospital Monday afternoon after battling pneumonia for some time, he passed away while in Cedars-Senai Hospital later in the afternoon.

Lee was the mastermind behind the Marvel Comics series which eventually blew up to become the most popular superhero franchise in the United States. Lee is given credit for the creation of Spiderman, The Incredible Hulk, Black Panther, Thor, and many others.

Though he was usually behind the scenes during the shoots of Marvel Movies, he was most famous for appearing in short tidbits in every single Marvel superhero movie. Odds are he was the old guy you saw on your screen impressing the audience with his dad jokes and inspirational quotes during his brief cameos.

Many students at Pattonville were stunned to hear about the death of Lee, including senior Nate O’Connell who is one of the biggest Marvel fans. He and his family have seen every Marvel film you can think of, and he said he is also a very big fan of the Marvel comic series.

“My girlfriend texted me during my 6th hour class and told me that Stan Lee had passed away and I just kept denying the fact that he had died and just texted back no to her,” O’Connell said. “I was devastated once I found out that Stan Lee had passed away.”

It’s hard for O’Connell to pick his favorite character and movie, but he was able to pick one of each.

“I’d have to say Daredevil is my favorite Marvel hero because he’s a fantastic character, and I’d have to say my favorite Marvel movie would have to be the very first Avengers that came out.”

Lee was not only an icon, but an influence to many children from several generations to chase their dreams and do what they love because they only live once. He gave fans some of their favorite childhood films and comics that shaped their childhood.

Lee will never be forgotten as he will be a legend for the Marvel Universe forever.