Pattonville Chamber Choir to sing in Mercy Holiday Celebration concert

For the past seven years, Pattonville’s Chamber Choir has been going to Powell Symphony Hall to perform with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra in the Mercy Holiday Celebration concert.

This year, the performances are Dec. 21 and 22 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., and Dec. 23 at 2 p.m.  Tickets range from $35-$75,

High school choir director Ms. Melynda Lamb said people interested in attending should act quickly.

“Most performances are nearly sold out at this point.”

This will be the high school’s 7th year participating as members of the Holiday Festival Chorus and the chorus has only been around for 8 years.

“I was asked by the Chorus Director to recommend students to participate,” she said. “I decided it would be a good opportunity for all the Chamber Choir students to perform in this concert.”

Her experience of walking onto the historical stage is much like the students when they attend their first rehearsal.

“We entered through the musician’s door and went straight onto the stage at Powell Symphony Hall,” she said. “The students’ mouths all dropped open looking at the view from the stage at this magnificent space.  They then all started taking pictures and tweeting them out.”

Performing with students from the high school choir has been a special moment in her teaching career.

“Two years ago, we were asked to be an antiphonal choir, which means we sang a different part from the other students and were in the balcony,” she said. “This song occurred right after intermission. It was so lovely and touched the hearts of the audience so much that the students received a standing ovation in the middle of the concert. It was amazing for the students to receive that type of response from a sold out house at the most prestigious hall in our city.”

While most students will be finished with their final exams on Friday, the high school choir will just be starting their final presentations. Catch their performances on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the Holiday Festival Chorus at Powell Symphony Hall.