Los Angeles Rams to play in Super Bowl LIII against New England Patriots

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brandon Clark, Sports Writer

The last time the Rams played the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl, senior Jorge Coronado was just 1 year old and the Rams played in St. Louis.

Since then, the Rams left the Gateway to the West and moved back to Los Angeles, but the 18-year-old is still a fan of the team.

The Rams will be playing in their fourth Super Bowl in franchise history and will be contending for their second Lombardi Trophy on Sunday, Feb 3.

“Oh, I’m feeling amazing right now,” the Los Angeles Rams super-fan said. “It’s been too long,”

But for the Patriots, it seems like an every year occurrence that they are playing in the top game.

On Jan. 12, 2016, it was announced that the St. Louis Rams would be relocating to Los Angeles for the 2016 NFL season.

In the three seasons the Rams have played in L.A. thus far, they have been very successful compared to the end of their tenure in Missouri. The Rams are now back-to-back Division champions in the NFC West beating out Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks for a first-round bye and home field advantage in the Divisional round playoff game.

This will be the first year the team has been to the Super Bowl since the 2001 season when they had the Greatest Show on Turf featuring Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Issac Bruce, Torry Holt, and the All-Pro lineman Orlando Pace. The team also had plenty of help on defense featuring Aeneas Williams, Grant Winstrom, Kevin Carter, and London Fletcher.

But this is a new era for the Rams. A younger core group of players including quarterback Jared Goff, running back Todd Gurley and defensive end Aaron Donald. Not to mention they have Sean McVay making all the calls and will be the youngest head coach to ever advance to the championship game.

The Rams will be playing the New England Patriots again on the biggest stage in America. The two teams previously met in a Super Bowl match-up in 2002

In order for the Rams to hoist another Lombardi trophy, they will have to pass through the great quarterback Tom Brady, who seems to be unbeatable in the NFL playoffs. Brady will be playing in his ninth Super Bowl game and has won five titles already (5-3). His partner in crime, head coach Bill Belichick, always seem like they can’t be counted out in a title game. If Belichick wins the game, he will be the oldest head coach to ever win the Super Bowl.

The 2019 game will be played in the state-of-the-art Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta after both teams won on the road in overtime contests in their league championship games. The Rams defeated the New Orleans Saints and the Patriots went into Kansas City to top the Chiefs.

Now, the real question is for the people of St. Louis: Do you root for the team that left you, or the team that has been reported to cheat in order to win two out of their five titles (including one against the Rams)?

The Super Bowl will be played on Sunday, Feb. 3, with the kickoff scheduled for 5:30 p.m. The game (and the commercials) will be aired on CBS.