International Club Shares Love to Students by Selling Flowers

A little love goes a long way. Austin Prater (10) tackles his research essay with renewed purpose after he received his carnation. Austin was one of approximately 500 students who received a carnation from the International Club’s Valentine’s Day fundraiser.

In honor of Valentine’s Day, the International Club sold cards and carnation flowers for $2 each to students during all lunch sessions through February 5-11, and members delivered them this morning.

The deliveries are one of the club’s fundraisers, and, according to member Xmiena Rodger-Stamps, “I’m not sure how but I know it’s been a tradition for many years.”

The money that they fundraise is going to several upcoming events. According to a sponsor of the club, Ms. Korte, “For this current fundraiser we are considering setting proceeds aside to pay for flowers to send to students and staff members facing personal struggles who can use some community support and an act of kindness.”

Some other events that International Club holds throughout the year include Holi, El Literacy Night, Dinner Theater, International Day Show, and World Peace Day.

Club members presented recipients with the carnations during first hour, and the students’ reactions to their flowers and cards ranged from expectant to surprised. International Club brightened the day of a good portion of the school. Ms. Korte reported that the group delivered about 285 cards and 500 flowers.