Marching Band Competes in Last Competition

The last day before daylight savings was also the last day of something else important for over 100 musically talented Pattonville students. The PHS Marching Band, led by Dennis McFarland, took place in its last competition of the year.

After competing in several other tournaments, along with numerous football games, the band played in a competition with 25 other schools across Missouri. This competition was called the “Champion of Champions,” and took place on Faurot Field at the University of Missouri in Columbia.

“I think it was our best competition so far,” said Kelli Mills, 11. “We added more visuals in it so that the show was a lot more exciting to watch.”

The band performed the same piece that they had practiced for football games and other previous competitions. This piece, composed by Key Poulon, is called “Q” and has four specific parts to it that each begin with Q (Quest, Quiet, Quick, and Quit)

“I liked our piece because it had a lot of different unique styles and parts to it,” said junior Lauren Roethemeyer.

Although the group has been working on this piece before the school year began and has became very familiar with the piece, a few adjustments were made to enhance the band’s performance for their last competition.

“The most important change the band had to make for our final performance was to solidify our tempos, so we could play through the whole show without speeding up or slowing down,” explained drum major Adam Kaminsky, 12.

Kaminsky, who was one of two drum majors along with junior Laura Pirrone, noticed a lot of improvement as the season progressed and participated in more competitions.

“Being drum major, it was interesting to see the type of legacy this young band and I were creating given so many new opportunities like the new stadium,” Kaminsky added.

The band was able to play in multiple football games, parades, and competitions leading up to this final one. Since this was the last competition, students in the club no longer have to wake up early for 6:45 morning practices, or stay after for sectionals as often.

“I’m excited to not go to as many practices, even though I really enjoy marching band,” said junior Kelli Mills.

For seniors, the “Champion of Champions” at Mizzou was their last competition. Although their high school marching band moments are done, they will still perform music for specific bands at Pattonville.

“Now that my final season of marching band is over, I feel affirmed that the season was a success for everybody,” said Kaminsky. “I have fun during the marching season, but now I am excited to change focus and work on my musicianship in the concert band.”

Members of the band walk around while playing to find their next position.
The group started in a formation of the letter Q.

Trumpet Brendan Hruby, 11, performs his solo in the piece

Drum Majors Laura Pirrone (left) and Adam Kaminsky (Right).