PHS varsity wrestlers appreciate their teachers

Renaissance sponsors a staff recognition program for all varsity sports teams at PHS. This happens for almost all of Pattonville’s sports teams such as football, swimming, softball and soccer. On Jan. 23, Pattonville’s varsity wrestlers picked a teacher of their choice to honor them for being great.

“The meaning behind us choosing a certain teacher today is because it is Teacher Appreciation Day and Senior Night,” Eric Thomas said. “It’s our last home meet today and we are pumped up.”

The Renaissance game is one that many athletes look forward to.

“Athletes choose a staff member to honor by delivering an invitation and asking if the staff member will come to the game or meet,” Beth Moritz, an English teacher and Renaissance sponsor, said. “Staff members are given a jersey or shirt to wear to school indicating that they have been chosen.”

In the morning, staff members and athletes meet in the gym to take group and individual pictures.

“Then (the group of teachers) sit together to cheer for the kids at the event,” Moritz said. “As a staff member who has been picked, I can say that it is wonderful recognition to be chosen by an athlete for impacting his or her life.  Team members enjoy having a crowd of teachers to cheer for them, too.”

One of the PHS wrestlers, who also happens to be the athlete of the week, senior Eric Thomas, chose a teacher for one pretty interesting reason.

“I chose Ms. [Leslie] Anderson because she happens to be the sister of one of the greatest wrestlers who went here, which I think is pretty cool.”

[portfolio_slideshow]