VDT is in it to win it

Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 8.55.04 AMPracticing for as long as 3 hours, 5 days a week, the dedication Pattonville Varsity Drill Team has put into their dancing has paid off as they left for the UDA National competition on Thursday, Jan. 31.  Anise Glenn is one of just two sophomores on Varsity’s drill team.

“This competition has crept up on us,” Glenn said. “Even though we have been preparing since September, it’s come up so fast.”

The team left after school on Thursday, ready to perform the dances they have been practicing since September. They have been performing their routines at recent basketball games to get ready for the national stage.

“I’m nervous, but so excited at the same time,” Glenn said. “I think we will do really well. It’s just pretty scary to think that you’re not competing in front of just state, but the whole nation.”

They have big goals for this competition instead of just enjoying Florida. On Friday, it’s fun, but on Saturday, it’s time to do work. Sunday is reserved for teams that qualify for the final round of the competition.

“Hopefully we dance on Sunday, too,” Glenn said. “We want to show the other teams that we have exactly what it takes to get to the top.”

To qualify for Nationals, the team had to go to a summer camp and place when they performed. They then went to another UDA competition, the Lindbergh competition, and won both the hip hop and pom routines.

The trip is being taken by all 16 members of the drill team. They’ve done many fundraisers to pay their way including car washes, raffles, a 31 sale, and the biggest fundraiser of all, the Nike sale that was held at Pattonville.

This weekend will be an opportunity to bond with teammates, but Glenn is also hoping to celebrate with them as well.