Two PVS Players Sign For College

National signing day for both soccer and football is Feb. 6 and Pattonville will have two seniors signing to play soccer at the college level, Erin Collier and Katie (Butch) Mertz.

Butch will be attending Maryville University. She has played on the PVS (Pattonville Varsity Soccer) team since her freshman year, but began her soccer career in kindergarten.

“I’ll definitely miss team-bonding and going to Iowa with the team the most,” said Mertz.  What drew Butch toward Maryville were the girls on the team and she said she is very excited to play with them. Butch is still undecided about her major.

Collier also began playing soccer in kindergarten and was on varsity all four years. Collier will be going to Southwestern Illinois College and excited about attending there.

“I really like the coach and that I’m going on a full scholarship and don’t have to pay anything,” said Collier.

She also said that the one thing she will miss the most about PVS is the bond between the team and the team bonding.  Collier is also undecided about her major.

Both seniors have high goals for this years PVS team. One goal is to win conference, district and state.

The girl’s varsity soccer team has been extremely successful throughout the past few years. Winning conference and districts at Pattonville has been a tradition since 2007.

Collier would like to score 10 goals because she has reached that mark every year since her freshman year.

“You can do anything if you work hard, and push yourself,” she said.

Both athletes are prepared to play in college, but they aren’t finished competing in high school. The girls’ varsity soccer season kicks off this spring.

[portfolio_slideshow id=7130]