Gridiron Goals

FootballGameVideo copyWith the fall sports season looming right around the corner, the Pattonville varsity football team is preparing for its first game under the Friday night lights. The Pirates have been hard at work, and fully intend to improve from a 1-win season last year. With a lot of senior leadership leaving the team, the class of 2014 seniors will have to take the reigns as mentors to the younger players.

“I like being someone for the younger guys to look up to, and I want to prepare them for when it’s their time,” senior starting linebacker Carter Hanford said. “Being a role model means a lot more than showing them how to play their positions, but how to manage themselves on and off the field, and keep their composure in order.”

The team is mostly comprised of seniors and juniors, but there are also some even younger players on the team, including sophomore running back Chris Pointdexter, who played for a short time on the varsity team last year.

“I’ve learned how to control my anger on the field, and not letting things get to my head from the more experienced players,” he said.

He expects that the Pirates will achieve a winning season, and for himself to grow into a more mature player in his first full year of varsity football.

Although the Pirates went through a long, tough season last year, many players have high hopes for this season.

Junior starting wide receiver Jake Stroker said he thinks this season will be different than last season because the team will play better together, and have more leadership which leads to better team chemistry.

“I expect us to have a better record and to compete with the top teams in the state,” Stroker said, “and to put Pattonville on the map so everyone knows who we are.”