Pattonville students gain real-world journalism experience at #METC18 conference

Pattonville journalism students went to the METC conference on Feb. 13-14 in St. Charles where they were able to attend sessions and visit the exhibition hall while working as part of the Student eNews Bureau. Students were able to get real-world experience covering the conference as part of a journalism group.

Students were set up at a table near the entrance of the conference and were able to do podcasts, conduct interviews, post slideshows, and write articles.

Freshman JP Killian said he enjoyed the experience.

“I took pictures, and it was fun because I’d never really taken pictures before, especially at a real conference like this,” he said. “It was a very cool experience and I’m looking forward to coming back next year.”

Junior Madison Brown worked on a story about a group of middle schoolers who were at the conference to present about digital citizenship.

“I think it’s cool how middle schoolers are here making an impact in the teaching world,” Brown said.

As a program of EducationPlus, the Midwest Education Technology Community (METC) provides professional development and support for area educators through the use of technology and 21st century skills.

A few students came back saying that the sessions they had attended were geared more toward teachers, such as an infographic class that the student thought would be about how to write an infographic, but was actually about how to assign the project and grade it.

While these students liked the session and enjoyed the opportunity, they found it a little awkward that they were attending a conference for teachers and not for students.

Throughout the day, Pattonville students walked around the conference and were often being mistaken for teachers.

“They asked if we were elementary school educators and it shocked me because I didn’t think I looked like a teacher, but we all kind of just laughed and walked away,” junior Madison Pearia said.