Singing Their Way Up to the Top

Pattonville+students+Julia+Drake%2C+Taylor+Knight%2C+Mackenzie+Voss%2C+and+Tony+Washington+selected+for+All-State+Choir.+

Matthew Jacobi

Pattonville students Julia Drake, Taylor Knight, Mackenzie Voss, and Tony Washington selected for All-State Choir.

Pattonville’s Choir has achieved a number of honors this year, including four PHS singers making All-State Choir. Julia Drake, Taylor Knight, Mackenzie Voss, and Tony Washington all made All-State, among eight students that qualified.

On Saturday, October 5, 42 Choir students were selected for the All-Suburban Honors Choirs. “From the 40 high schools in our district, close to 300 students were chosen to make up the Mixed and Treble Choirs. We have a PHS record of 29 in the Mixed Choir this year and 13 in the Treble,” Ms. Lamb, choir teacher, stated. 

Pattonville hosted the Honors Choir Concerts on November 2 at 3pm and 4pm. The students who were selected for All-Suburban are Emily Barton, Austin Branson, Jaelynne Cauldwell, Sion Cotton*, Julia Drake*, Patrick Ferguson, Alayna Hopgood*, Jahlil Johnson, Kristen Jones, Taylor Knight*, Sarah Lewis, Zeresh Lewis Jr., Caleb Long, Connor Lorino, Wyatt Mackenberg, Ethan Massey, Michael Nelson, Maichi Nguyen, Michael Pirrie, Hannah Radican, Lily Reynolds, Andrew Schmitz, Joey Stewart, Christopher Tobar*, Brianna Voss*, Mackenzie Voss*, Tara Wang, Tony Washington*, Sophia Zegar, Rajiah Allen, Madison Branson, Haley Brown, Jenna Hageman, Chelsey Laughlin, Lyndia McCullough, Skylar Monnig, Abble Moody, Sarah Nelson, Grace Radican, Kalista Roades, Devin Scharer, and Hannadey Yezza. Students with stars by their name also qualified for All-State.

Pattonville students Tony Washington, Kristen Jones, Ja’nya Cruise, Grace Radican, and Hannah Radican were among 20 chosen from the St. Louis region to participate in the Opera Theatre of St. Louis’s highly selective Artists in Training program. Students selected for the program participate in weekly college-level voice lessons and coaching, take part in master classes with professional singers and teachers from around the country, perform in recitals, compete for $12,000 in scholarship funds and receive college guidance. Students also participate in retreats and college tours and attend opera and musical theater performances in the area. 

In Choir, not only students get recognized for their talent, but their teacher Ms. Lamb is being recognized as Eric Whitacre’s Teacher of the Week. Eric Whitacre is a Grammy Award-winning composer and conductor. Each week, Whitacre selects a new teacher for the week from nominations made on his website. She was nominated by junior Christopher Tobar. Congratulations, Ms. Lamb!