Dr. Fitzgerald Named Missouri Assistant Principal of the Year

In a ceremony held in G206 on November 13, 2019, Pattonville High School was proud to announce that Assistant Principal, Dr. Jon Fitzgerald has been selected to be the 2020 Missouri Assistant Principal of the Year.

The Missouri Associate of Secondary School Principals annually recognize outstanding middle level and high school level assistant principals who have succeeded in providing high quality learning opportunities for students. Each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Department of Defense Education Activity and the U.S. Department of State Office of Overseas Schools may select just one assistant principal to represent their state. Dr. Fitzgerald made the cut.Mr. Clark Mershon, Executive Director of Missouri Education of Secondary School Principals, explains that Dr. Fitzgerald will now contend with the other states’ recipients for the National Assistant Principal of the Year award.

Along with accepting his award, Dr. Fitzgerald will be recognized again at the MoASSP Spring Conference, March 31st-April 2nd at the Lodge of the Four Seasons. This is a very proud moment for Pattonville to have one of our own recognized for his determination and service.When he realized he was being recognized, Dr. Fitzgerald explained, “I was very surprised and elevated. It was a really good feeling because I work with a lot of great people and I’m lucky to be around such great students.”
Dr. Fitzgerald has worked for Pattonville High School for the last eight years. Although Dr. Fitzgerald was just nominated for this award, he wasn’t always an assistant principal. “I started at Pattonville as a Social Studies teacher. I was open to the idea of Assistant Principal because it was a really good opportunity. I just went with it, and since then I’ve never looked back.”

Last year, Dr. Fitzgerald was recognized as High School Assistant Principal of the Year by the St. Louis Association of Secondary School Principals. Congratulations on moving to larger arenas of competition, Dr. Fitzgerald!