The Pattonville Pirates won the 2017 MNHS Freshman Girls Tip-Off Classic Tournament.

Chris Kusnerick @MNHSAthletics

Girls’ basketball team wins the 2017 McCluer North High School Freshman Tournament

December 6, 2017

Chris Kusnerick @MNHSAthletics

Pattonville High School’s freshman girls’ basketball team did it again.

“We played McCluer South-Berkeley first and beat them 46-8,” beams a proud coach Ms. Lisa Foust. “Then we beat Hazelwood East 42-20, and then we finally beat Hazelwood West 47-22.”

This final victory led to the girls becoming the 2017 MNHS Tournament champions.

This is the fourth tournament title for the Pirates in the past 5 years.

Despite the pause in 2016, this year’s freshman girls were determined to return to the winning ways that began in 2013.

Tyra Brown, one of the varsity team captains, along with varsity head coach Doug McGhee and assistant coach Kaitlin Childs, came out to support the young team.

“They gave 110 every possession on both ends of the court,” Brown said. “They’re also very coachable, which is a great trait to have.”

She liked seeing her potential successors play the game.

“I like going to watch our younger girls,” Brown said. “It’s nice to see what we’ll have coming up in the program.”

Foust also agrees that it’s nice to see an older player, a role model of sorts for the girls, to come and support the freshmen Pirates.

“It makes them go harder,” she said with a wink.

1 Comment

One Response to “Girls’ basketball team wins the 2017 McCluer North High School Freshman Tournament”

1. Kim Childs on January 2nd, 2018 8:15 pm

Go Pattonville! Very excited to see the up and coming players doing well!

PattonvilleTODAY • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in