New students are welcomed to high school during event

Helen Nelson, Yearbook sports editor

There are 1,629 students enrolled at the high school, and from that number, 110 students are brand new to the district.

The Pirate Code organization invited all the new students to a “New Student Brunch” during Homeroom on Thursday, Sept. 7, where they got the opportunity to mingle with other new students and teachers. They were offered donuts, juice, and many other sweet treats.

Each student was given a name tag and a place to sit in a circle in the Commons. Teachers then answered questions that students may have about transitioning to the school and opportunities available to them.

One of the new students, freshman Alexa Beal, moved to Pattonville from Pacific High School in Eureka, Missouri. She claimed that the transition was scary at first, and that she even cried on the first day attending school because she had no idea where she was going. Once she made friends in her classes, the adjustment was much easier for her.

“Pattonville is way better than any of the schools I’ve been to,” she said. “I’ve moved around a lot in my years of school. Pattonville is already by far my favorite. I really like how they encourage involvement.”

Being a freshman in a new school is already hard, but being a transfer student adds onto the stress. She said at Pattonville, all students are welcomed and encouraged to get more involved in sports, clubs, and activities in the school.