Pixar’s Soul Touches Souls

image from the Disney website

Soul surprised a lot of people with its diversity and deep meaning. People of all ages enjoyed seeing the adventurous and life changing journey of Joe Gardener.

Elise Banks, Staff Writer

An aspiring jazz pianist who dreams of playing big time has a sudden near-death experience that allows him to view life much differently. The movie Soul has been seen by millions of people around the world and has changed people’s perception of life.

Soul was directed by Pete Docter; an American animator, film director, screenwriter, producer, voice actor, and chief creative officer of Pixar. He is best known for directing the Pixar animated feature films Monsters, Inc., Up, Inside Out, and Soul, and as a key figure and collaborator at Pixar. Docter has won multiple awards, such as the Bodil Award for Best American Film, Nebula Award for Best Script, BAFTA Award for Best Animated Film. and much more.

When working on Soul, Docter, who happens to be a huge fan of jazz, was inspired by a story he heard from Herbie Hancock. Based on that encounter, he created something that changed so many people for the better.

His main goal was to allow his audience to feel a connection with the characters and for the audience to have a good time watching it.

The film Soul was recognized mainly for its African-American representation and its plot depth. Most of the feedback given by people who watched the film was positive and encouraging towards the creators, especially from the Black community.

“The movie really showed a great representation of the Black community and it showed how we can be talented and fearless but also unsure and hesitant about the future. Not only that, but we’re versatile and smart and not just about hip hop and violence but about passion and unity,” sophomore Amaya Adegbuyi said.

Although the movie was targeted towards a younger audience, people of all ages gained insight from this movie.

“I think it’s a great family movie for all ages because the movie can speak to everyone in different ways,” stated sophomore Maysen Page.

From the award-winning animation to the Black creativity, Soul has touched many communities.

Overall the movie Soul is loved all over the world and has brought light towards Black creativity and individuality. Many have gained a new perspective on their lives. People young and old have learned from Soul to not take anything in their life for granted.