Students experience rare solar eclipse at school

Lorelei Ryan
Students gather outside to watch solar eclipse during 7th hour

On Monday, August 21, 2017, Pattonville High School students were taken out of class during 7th hour to view the rare solar eclipse that spread across the continental U.S.

A solar eclipse is caused when the moon passes in between the sun and the Earth and casts a shadow, as well as completely covering up the entire sun in some places; this is called the “path of totality.”

Unfortunately, the high school was not in the direct path, but it was close to 99 percent.

Many students chose to miss school to travel somewhere in the line. But, the ones who were at school got to experience the rare sight surrounded by their friends and teachers.

“I believe when we are in school, we are learning and sharing this moment together, we get to experience this together,” senior Shhdwafi Youssef said when asked if she wished Pattonville would have called off school to allow students to find a better location to view the eclipse.

While it was great to be at school during this amazing event, many wished that they had been closer to totality, just because they wanted a “better experience.”

Sophomore Madeleine Freund wished that she would have watched it on a farm or someplace more isolated and spacey.

“I am fascinated by the moon,” Freund said. “I am excited because it’s something that hasn’t happened in a long time.”