Seniors prepare for college process with counselor, meetings

Pattonville College Fair will be on Sept. 21. Students should register on StriveFair before that date in order to get a barcode that can be used at every booth to provide their information.

Like going on college visits, Ms. Michelle Luraschi, has been visiting different classes with seniors to inform them about the deadlines for applying to college, scholarships and FAFSA. She also met with all seniors during Homeroom on Aug. 31 to remind students of the importance of meeting application deadlines.

Something the high school college counselor would like students to know when they are searching for a good fit college is not to confuse a ‘name brand’ college with quality or fit for their success.

There are now over 4,000 colleges and universities in the United States and there are many colleges that would be a good fit.

“Lots of big and small colleges that you have never heard of have amazing opportunities for student learning and research,” she said.

When looking for a safety school as students find colleges and universities, students should look for certain things.

“You should find a school that meets your needs in major, location, and campus environment and one that you can be admitted to and afford.”

It should be a school that students would be happy to attend and one that offers the best financial aid package.

Students should also take advantage of the colleges that visit Pattonville such as Duke University this year. These visits allow students to spend half an hour learning about a specific college or university. These visits also allow students to discover a college that they may not have considered without taking up much time in their day.

It is very easy to sign up for these visits as students just need to log onto Family Connection.

Another opportunity to meet with more than 55 schools will be the Pattonville College Fair on Sept. 21. Students should register on StriveFair before that date in order to get a barcode that can be used at every booth to provide their information.

Finally, in order to prevent stress during a student’s senior year of high school it is important to follow directions to dates.

“Do everything early and pay attention to your deadlines.”

Luraschi, now in her third year at Pattonville, graduated from Truman State with her undergraduate degree and then received her graduate degree at Missouri State University.

She is not new to the counseling scene however.

“I have been a counselor in community organizations and higher education including Washington University, Webster University, and Southwestern Illinois College.”