Tip off for the annual wheelchair basketball game is 6 p.m. on Nov. 9

A basketball game will be played at Pattonville on Thursday, Nov. 9, but this is not an ordinary basketball game.

PALs will be hosting the 22nd Annual Wheelchair Basketball game.

This game which has teachers playing the St. Louis Jr. Rolling Rams is played with a bit of a twist. Staff members must sit in wheelchairs and play against a team of kids aging up to 18 who have a lower extremity disability.

“The kids are very impressive,” drill team member Brittany Bell said. “They always beat the teachers by a lot every single year and when a teacher does score, it’s very surprising.”

The teachers are 1-20 over the lifetime of this rivalry.

The Wheelchair Basketball game is an annual fundraiser to raise money for the St. Louis Jr. Rolling Rams Wheelchair Basketball team. In order to help team members with their travel expenses and tournament fees, all of the proceeds made from the game on Nov. 9 at Pattonville against the high school staff is donated back to the team.

All of the ticket sales benefits the DASA’s wheelchair basketball programs. DASA, or the Disabled Athlete Sports Association, is a nonprofit organization specializing in therapeutic sport and fitness opportunities. Their programs, such as wheelchair basketball, introduce any of their participants to sports and activities that promote physical fitness, self-confidence, family values, and their positive, team-building environment designed to encourage personal growth throughout all aspects of life. Their main goal is to get these children involved, not only in sports but in life as well.

Tickets are available for $4 each and will be sold at the door.

The event requires a lot of participation from the Pattonville PALs and the high school faculty and staff. The students organize the event, but the adults play and participate by dancing at halftime.

The high school staff will play the Jr. Rolling Rams in a wheelchair basketball game following the same rules they use in tournaments. Teachers will be in a wheelchair and will have to dribble or carry the ball on their lap and attempt to make shots.

In the 22 years of the teams playing, the teachers have won just once.

The event starts with a pre-game show at 6 p.m. with performances by the drill teams, cheerleaders, the PHS Pep Band and choir.  St. Louis Cardinals mascot Fredbird will also be there to provide entertainment and photo opportunities. After a half of watching the Pattonville faculty play the Jr. Rolling Rams, the halftime show begins where students will have the opportunity to attempt to make a free throw from a wheelchair and have a chance to win a free prom ticket and the teachers will perform a halftime dance.

Throughout the entire game, spectators can bid on Silent Auction baskets and the PTO will have the concession stand open.