Liddell speaks about Life Story on March 22 during Writers Week

Writers Week will give students the chance to express themselves and life struggles, such as senior Ta’J-Imani Liddell. English teacher Ms. Edna Nichols has influenced one of her fellow African American Literature students to participate in Writers Week.

“In Ms. Nichols’ class, we were reading a poem about the background of African Americans and how it made them who they were today,” Liddell said.

Though many students frown upon the idea of expressing their background, Liddell will be sharing a powerful piece about her life story.

“I will be reading a poem I wrote about where I am from. It just tells you a little about the things I’ve been through in my life. It’s about letting others know I’m not just the average teenager – I’m a foster kid that’s had some crazy things happen in her life that you would never guess by the way I appear and act.”

This is also Liddell’s first year at Pattonville High School. She previously attended Kirkwood High School. Although she is new, the idea of sharing her story is bigger than herself.

“I feel kind of scared because I am new here so I’m just telling kids about my life and they don’t know me from a can of paint, let alone all together, but it’s just a way for me to let people know it is OK to not be normal.”

Ta’J-Imani Liddell will be performing with other PHS student writers on Thursday, March 22, during 6th hour in the auditorium.