Girls soccer keeps rolling advancing to a 6-1 record

Brandon Clark, Sports Writer

There are no words to describe the way the Pattonville Pirates girls’ soccer team has been playing the past few weeks. The team has been unstoppable opening the season with a 6-1 records with the team’s only loss coming against Timberland High School of Wentzville.

After opening the season unranked by St. Louis Post-Dispatch High School Sports, the newspaper has the girls’ team ranked as the No. 9 large school in the metro area as of April 4.

The team has put up some incredible numbers and the season has only been going for two weeks.

The Pirates soccer team may be outscoring the baseball team as of late. Some of the final scores to the girl’s games have been 4-0 against Branson (MO), 7-0 against Jacksonville (Illinois) High School, and 8-1 against Clayton.

On Friday night, the girls played Duchesne High School and won 3-0 with scores from Cami McGee and Emily Schrumpf.

The team is very excited about being 6-1 and senior standout defender Kat Stroot thinks the team has been a powerhouse on offense.

“We have had really good success getting the ball down the field and getting the ball up to our forwards which has helped us get a lot of shots this season,” Stroot said.

The Pirates have had an overwhelming amount of success as far as it goes on the offensive side of the ball. The team has already scored over 25 goals in SEVEN games! That is absolutely insane considering soccer games generally have an average of 2 or 3 goals in each game.

Stroot also talked about some of the defensive struggles the team has had so far.

“One thing we have struggled with and have been working on at practice is switching fields from one side to the other.”

The lateral quickness moving from one side of the field to the other in a quick and efficient manner has been the one struggle for this defense. On paper, the team hasn’t struggled at all with defense allowing no more than two goals in a single game and letting up just four goals in seven games.

In my opinion, the team is very near perfect as of right now and the only thing they need to keep working on is staying focused and not letting things get to themselves.

I know we are only seven games into the season, but I’m gonna say the exact thing about this team that I said about the football team earlier this year. This girl’s soccer team has a legitimate chance of making it to the state championship game. The team is on pace to have over 75 goals this season and they are on pace to have over a 20-win season. Historically, if any soccer team has over 20 wins, they pose to be a threat.

I know it’s still very early in the season and the team has to play the No. 1 team in the area Webster Groves on May 7 , but opponents should definitely be scared of this squad. They have a coach who has won over 200 career games and they have a bunch of hungry players that want to bring a state title back to Pattonville after we fell short in the football state championship.

Let’s cross our fingers and hope this season keeps going the way it’s going with their dominant performance.