Culinary Arts class participated in Taste of Pattonville

Cupcakes are displayed at the Culinary Arts booth at the Taste of Pattonville event on April 5.

Dinner was served at the high school on Thursday, April 5, when many area restaurants took part in the Taste of Pattonville, an annual event that is hosted by Renaissance as a fundraiser. Dessert was provided by students enrolled in the high school’s  culinary class.

After completing the required foods classes, students can enroll in the Culinary Arts class taught by Ms. Tracie Olson where they are taught food presentation and cake decoration techniques during second semester. The students work and receive their national serve safe certification at the beginning of the year which allows the students to partake in events such as Taste of Pattonville.

“The students prepared for the event by decorating their own cookie cakes,” Olson said. “This allowed the students to become more comfortable with the decorating technique.”

During the same night as Taste of Pattonville, the high school also hosted a boys’ volleyball match in the gym.

“Some out-of-town guests from Colorado asked if they could buy some cupcakes,” Olson said. “They had never seen an event like Taste of Pattonville.”

She did not sell the family any cupcakes. Instead, she gave each of them one to take with them.

“I was just excited for the students to be recognized for their work.”

The class has an order for another 500 cupcakes they have to make for the Daddy/Daughter Dance at one of the middle schools in the upcoming weeks.