O’Dell receives MVP for third year in a row

Junior Josie O’Dell received a larger medal for earning an MVP award for the third straight year.

The Most Valuable Pirate Awards were given out after school on Thursday, April 26. For many students, it was their first time receiving the award. For junior Josie O’Dell, this was her third year receiving one.

Students who received a third-year nomination were given a larger medal than first- and second-year recipients; four-year nominations are given a plaque.

O’Dell said she hopes to earn a nomination next year to make it for four years.

“I would be overjoyed to be picked for the award next year and receive a plaque,” she said. “I will go into my senior year in hopes to make another bond with a new teacher or to even make a stronger bond with ones I have had in the past.”

Her first year, she was nominated by Ms. Williams, who switched school districts after O’Dell’s freshman year. She then received one from Mr. Newton, and this year, it was Ms. Shearrer.

“My most important one would be the one I received freshman year from my English teacher at the time [Ms. Williams],” she said, stating that Williams “had a huge impact on my freshman year and helped me adapt to the change of high school.”

Although students do not exactly know why they are chosen as an MVP, unless the teacher tells them exactly why, O’Dell believes she was chosen due to her close relationships with her teachers and excelling in her schoolwork.

“I would think it would be my motivation in class to always work my hardest and to be kind to my teachers and peers as well,” she said. “I always try to make a bond with my teachers so the classroom feels more open and relaxed, which helps me in my learning.”