Drill team returns from Orlando with 8th place finish in hip hop, 16th place in pom

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pattonville’s Varsity Drill Team went to the National Dance Alliance National Championship in Orlando, Florida, and performed in the Medium Varsity Division in two different dances. The team advanced to the finals in both hip hop and pom and placed nationally.

Finishing in 8th place in hip hop and 16th place in pom, this marked the end of the 2018-2019 competitive Drill Team season.

Senior Lacey Swanson said she is excited for her team.

“I’m super proud of my team, and although we didn’t place first, we really did something amazing because we had a lot of setbacks and still killed it,” Swanson said. “We left everything on the floor and it showed.”

Senior Hannah Schamber has been part of Drill Team since her freshman year. For her final year of being on the team, she said it’s pretty sad and pretty emotional.

“These girls are like my family so I’m happy to do it [Nationals] with them for my last year.”

Like every year though as the seniors leave, the juniors step up and take over the team and junior Kinzi Boyer is ready for the challenge.

“I’m pretty excited because there is a lot of fun things that come with your senior like Senior Night,” she said. “The seniors this year made the season way more fun for me and they helped me out so I hope I can do that for the underclassmen next year.”

The Varsity Drill Team will have their end-of-the-season Variety Show on March 14-15. The show is at 7 p.m in the high school auditorium. Tickets are $7 for adults and $5 for kids 10 and under.