SLIDESHOW Seniors win powderpuff game, beat juniors 14-0

Instead of battling the November snow, the juniors and seniors battled 25 miles per hour wind on Thursday in the first powderpuff game since 2005. The postponed game was finally played with the seniors winning 14-0.

Senior Brooke Jenkins scored the opening touchdown by running into the endzone and celebrated by chest-bumping her teammate.

“It’s really fun to celebrate scoring because you don’t really score in track,” she said. “We planned to do that from the beginning and I’m just glad we got the chance to do it.”

Jenkins. who won the Most School Spirit superlative for this year’s senior class, enjoyed the chance to play in a football game on the turf.

“It’s weird because usually I’m in the stands leading the chants for the football players, but this is really great,” she said. “This is a really great experience and I’m so glad I got to experience it my senior year.”

History teacher Mr. Doug Newton was teaching at Pattonville High School when the last powderpuff game was played and had the opportunity to serve as the senior team’s coach on Thursday.

“It’s great to see the tradition come back,” he said. “When we used to do it, it was an event like homecoming and prom and the game was played in the evening or on a Saturday, but for a rebirth of it, I think it was a good start.”

The game was played at 2:30 p.m. and because the game was rescheduled from its original date, some players were no longer available to participate and due to spring sports practices, some students were unable to even watch the game.

“We had nice student participation both in the crowd and on the field,” Newton said. “They showed the spirit they should’ve. It was fun, it was a friendly rivalry, it wasn’t a bitter rivalry, and we had good sportsmanship, and we had a good time doing it.”

Senior Megan Reese was carrying the team’s playbook throughout the game and helped lead the seniors to victory.

“Newton was calling the plays and I was running out to the players to show them the formations and to tell them what to do,” she said.

The boys got involved in the game by serving as cheerleaders and team coaches.

Senior Brandon Price was lifted up into the air to top a pyramid made by the cheerleaders during the halftime show.

“It was a new experience for me and it felt pretty awesome,” he said. “I was kind of nervous because I don’t usually do that kind of stuff.”

He said they practiced the formation a couple of times and he only fell once.

“But we really nailed it today in front of the crowd.”

Varsity football player junior Terrell Sanderson helped the junior class as one if its coaches.

“It was great working with the girls and seeing them develop as football players,” he said. “We had a little trouble getting them together, but once we got it down, we started doing stuff, but it was too late in the game.”

Admission to the game was $2 or two canned food items for the Packs Helping Students program.