PHS Moves into Phase 2 of In-Person Learning

Matthew Jacobi

On Thursday, October 29, Pattonville High School will transition into Phase 2 of in-person learning.

On Monday, October 12, Pattonville announced that PHS will return to school using the Phase 2 schedule starting Thursday, October 29.

This decision comes after Dr. Sam Page, St. Louis County Executive, announced recommendations in favor of high school students returning in person. The spread of COVID-19 has also decreased in the high school age group, with the rate of new cases down 16% since September 15, and the positivity rate has dropped from 7.6% to 5.7%.

For students and families that chose the in-person option for the first semester, last names A-K will attend in-person Tuesdays and Thursdays, beginning Thursday, October 29, and last names L-Z attending in-person on Wednesdays and Fridays, starting Friday, October 30. All virtual and hybrid students will participate in all virtual classes on Mondays.

Because Phase 2 includes two days of in-person classes and one day of virtual, the other two days will be independent work days for in-person students. Last names A-K will have their independent days on Wednesdays and Fridays, and last names L-Z will have their independent work days on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

During Phase 2, in-person students will be required to wear masks on the bus and at school, monitor COVID-19 symptoms before arrival, and physically distance at school. Other strategies to stop the spread of COVID-19 can be found on Pattonville’s Coronavirus website.

Pattonville High School will also send out an email to all parents on Friday, October 30, collecting responses on which option families would want to use for the second semester, either in-person learning with phases depending on the health conditions in the community, or VilleMade Virtual Academy, which will be 100% virtual for the second semester.

Dr. Pecoraro had some closing words to the Pattonville Community in the latest update. “The weeks since the end of September as our younger students returned to school have been incredible. We have enjoyed seeing our students’ joy and excitement about finally being back in the classroom, and we look forward to welcoming back our older students soon.”

Dr. Pecoraro continued to thank the Pattonville Community for their understanding and support throughout this time.

Update: On October 16, Dr. Dobrinic shared information about the VilleMade Virtual Academy students. Virtual Academy students will attend classes virtually Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. On Wednesdays and Fridays, students have to option to attend classes, but will always have independent work to do.