Learning Options 2020: Virtual or In-Person?

Anne Boyd

Laura Rockwell works in person on Wednesdays and Fridays. During seventh hour, Rockwell had Spanish 3 with Ms. Christian.

Coronavirus has taken a toll on all of us. Teachers are trying to make learning as easy as possible for students and students are trying their best to learn, but getting back into the swing of things is harder than anyone thought. When fully online classes ended for the high school on October 29, some students returned in person while others chose to stay online.

Many students have a lot of problems with online classes. Sophomore Allie Basta says, “Online school is very difficult for me because I have grown to learn by using social interaction, I am a very social person myself.”

Most people have been trained to ask for help and use others as examples since Pre-K, but over Zoom some students said they were a little uncomfortable with that. In class, a student can go up to the teacher and talk privately without being embarrassed, but on Zoom a person either has to unmute and let everyone hear or type the questions in the chat. Many students have other problems, too. Sophomore Laura Rockwell explains, “It is very difficult for me to focus at home.”

No doubt there are some drawbacks to coming back to school, as well. Students find waking up and going to school all day draining. Rockwell notices, “After school I usually feel stressed out with homework and missing assignments.”

Each family selected their learning choices for second semester shortly after returning to Phase 2.