Top Two Music Streaming Titans Go Head to Head

Jaida Phillips

Spotify or Apple Music? The popularity depends on whether you look at national or global data.

Apple Music or Spotify? The debate rages on in high schools across America as to which one is better. Although Apple Music has five million more users in the US as of October 19, 2021, Spotify remains the global champ.

Most people say that Spotify has more benefits, mainly because there is a free option and you can use it on any device. If you’re a student, you can get a $5 a month subscription, which is ad-free and includes Hulu, Showtime, the ability to download music offline, and unlimited skips.

Apple Music costs $9.99 a month or $99 a year for individuals, and they have a $15 a month subscription for families (up to six users). Apple Music also has a $5 subscription for students.

Apple users love the fact that they can make their own playlists in their Apple Music library. Asyah Blakely, a Holman student, prefers it. “I like Apple Music better because there is a library that I can set up with all of my favorite playlists, songs, artists, genres, and my downloaded music is in its own category,” Blakely said.

Spotify also has a “your library” section. Spotify users often like how their liked songs, episodes, and playlists are in one section, and their favorite artist and albums are also separated. “I like how you can make different playlists and you can also pick your own genres,” Breon Jones, a student at Pattonville, said.

Spotify has been working with Amazon Echo since 2016, but only for premium subscribers. That changed in November of 2019 and became free for Alexa-powered devices along with other smart speakers from Sonos and Bose.

Apple Music started working with Amazon Echo two years after Spotify in 2018. Now you can connect both music apps to your Alexa devices.

The Apple Music population is bigger than the Spotify population, so the winner for the best music app is Apple Music.