Struggles Make Student Athletes Stronger

Michael Irving

Student athletes have to vary their schedules to achieve rest, practice, sleep, and academics.

Student athletes are some of the most hard working kids in America. They have schoolwork to focus on as well as sports, and they have to balance enough time for sleep throughout the day. Students who want to compete at the high school level also have to meet MSHSAA Eligibility Standards.

According to varsity basketball player Justin Coleman, a senior, there’s not enough time to rest. “I get about 6-7 hours of sleep of sleep every day and personally I don’t think it is enough,” Coleman said.

The problem does not just affect Pattonville students. For students who choose private school, the homework demands on a student athlete are much greater. Freshman Madden Irving attends Chaminade. For him, a typical day is hectic.

“A lot of my time is dedicated to sports and, I get 7 hours of sleep daily due to the amount of homework I have,” Irving said.

Another issue with student athletes is the balance between sports and academics.

“One of the hardest things about being a student athlete is time management and not having time to do what I would rather do,” Coleman said.

Despite the struggles and headaches of being a student athlete, it has greater benefits. It teaches students how to manage time and how to prioritize. It builds character and can help students stay out of trouble and better their future.