Idaho College Murders Creates Panic with Students and Teenagers

Steven M. Falk/The Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS

Bryan Kohberger, facing first-degree murder charges in the slayings of four University of Idaho students last fall, is taken by Sheriff Deputies from the Monroe County Courthouse on Jan. 3, 2023, in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. (Steven M. Falk/The Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS)

On November 13th, 2022, the tragic murder scene of victims Ethan Chapin (20), Madison Mogen (21), Xana Kernodle (20), and Kaylee Goncalves (21) was discovered. The students were found stabbed to death in their off campus home between 3 and 4 a.m. in Moscow, Idaho.

The five who lived in the house together, alongside Ethan Chapin, went out for the night on November 12th. All were believed to have been back in their campus home around 2 a.m. The two roommates who lived on the lower floor of the home survived these attacks. One of the two claims to have seen a “Tall man in black clothes” walk down her hallway around 4 AM. The roommate further explained that she was frozen with fear and went back to bed. The next morning a 911 call was made reporting an unconscious victim in the home. This is when the bodies were discovered.

After a little more than a month, Moscow police have a suspect, Bryan Khoberger, in custody. The 28-year-old Ph.D. student of Washington University is being charged with four cases of first-degree murder. Kohberger is originally from Pennsylvania where he later fled after committing his crimes. After finding DNA evidence on a knife sheath left behind at the scene, the state of Pennsylvania’s SWAT team entered the family home on December 30 and formally arrested Kohberger.
This tragedy became highly popular on Tik Tok. Given how young the victims were, many college-aged students all over the United States are living in constant fear.

“I get so scared to sleep without my lights on. After the articles I’ve read, I make sure to lock everything up as much as I possibly can,” senior Hayley Buschman said.

According to Fox News, Khoberger repeatedly sent messages to one of the victims via Instagram on multiple occasions starting in early October. He was also following all of the victims on social media. Kaylee Gonclaves’ mother reported to the police that “no one” knew of Kohberger before the incident. This led to many beliefs circulating around the internet that Kohberger was previously stalking the victims.

Pattonville Alumni Katie Ridings graduated in 2022. Ridings decided to further her education at a four-year university while living on her campus in a dorm.

“Hearing about the Idaho murders has impacted how safe I have felt on my college campus. I have been more cautious and aware when in my dorm to ensure my safety when on campus,” Ridings said.

While many people are affected by this case, many young women fear for their safety.

“In today’s society, it really is a reality check, yet it doesn’t surprise me that the safety of women on public campuses is at risk. As a woman and as a student who will soon be attending college in the next few years, I will be protecting myself,” sophomore Betty Askew said.

Kohberger is not expected to be seen back in court until late June. While we still don’t have critical information about this case, more pieces are being uncovered each day.