Student Run Businesses are a Sweet Success in Pattonville

Sophie Chapman
Students perfect their sewing skills by learning about fashion, and its fundamentals. This helps out their skills in the fashion trade if they are to go into that field later on in life.

For many high school students, the stress of a job can be intense. The work cycle can feel like an endless loop. Schedules are busy, some don’t like the commitment of an actual schedule and would like to work on their own conditions and hours. The solution to the undesirable work life of teenagers is student-run businesses.

“I call my business Sweets by Liv, and I make cupcakes and cakes for people,” junior Olivia Grace said.

Grace sells her cakes for roughly $50-$60 and makes around $600 a year from her business.

“I tried it first for a year my freshman year and I got an actual job and now my business is kinda like a side job,” Grace said.

The process of starting a business and getting motivated can be quite difficult at a young age. For many business owners like Grace, inspiration often comes from their home roots.

“My grandma, she was a baker and I always liked baking with her, and over time, it became something I liked doing,” Grace said.

For some student business owners, starting a business is more of a financial help than just a passion.

“I needed the money to pay for basketball and it was something I was good at,” junior Brooke Boyce said.

Boyce owns her own baking business similar to Graces.

“It’s called Brookes Berries and I sell chocolate-covered strawberries, pretzels, and Oreos,” said Boyce.

So, what does the process look like? A business doesn’t just appear, it takes time and patience.

“I started by making flyers and then I made a website. Then when I got orders I just made the product and delivered it,” Boyce said.

Luckily, Pattonville offers help to students looking to start and run businesses.

“So we have a wide variety of students who own different businesses here at Pattonville, fortunately, a lot of these students are taking my classes,” Dr. Raheem Muhammad, business and marketing teacher, said.

Students interested in starting their own businesses should consider taking his class for support.