Lacrosse team starts to hold open gyms

Jashayla Pettigrew, Staff writer

Girls’ lacrosse is a spring sport offered to girls in high school. The team is holding open gyms to prepare athletes for the season. (file photo)

Open gyms for lacrosse began on Tuesday, Jan. 9, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the multipurpose room. They are going to be held every Tuesday until tryouts for the spring season begin on Feb. 26.

These open gyms are intended to help any students who are interested in playing for the 2018 season acquire new skills and gain a better understanding of the game. Past team members are wanting to recruit underclassmen so that they will have more playing experience for the seasons to come in the future.

Junior varsity coach Lisa Foust suggests that any interested athletes, veterans or newcomers come to the open gyms.

“Open gyms give the people the chance to get in shape for our season,” she said. “If you’re thinking about trying out for lacrosse, this gives you an opportunity to find out if it is a good fit for you. You can meet the other girls from the team, as well as the coaches.”