Girls soccer preparing for upcoming season

Kyleigh Maryas, Writer

Jordin McGehee (back right) runs up the field with fellow teammates Bailey Schaefermeier (center) and Kayla Meyer (back left) in a game during the 2017 season. (File photo)

Thinking about trying out for girl’s soccer this spring?

Varsity soccer coach Jason Sellers recently held a meeting for athletes interested in trying out for the team.

“Tryouts will be held on Feb. 26 and will be held for about 4 to 5 days,” Sellers said.

After that, the rosters for the three levels of teams will be announced.

Sellers said it is definitely recommended to attend open gyms to get a better feel of what you have to do before tryouts start and know what you are up against.

“If you are interested in pre-season work, that would be held on Wednesdays from 6 to 8 p.m. in the low-ceiling room.”

Before tryouts the coaches will need some more information about each student-athlete.

For example, in order to be eligible to play soccer, the coaches need to know the student’s grades from the previous semester. All student-athletes must pass at least six classes (Academic Lab does not count), earning six credits and have the required minimum GPA.

The Athletic Department also needs to know if students are healthy enough to play, so they will need to have a physical form tuned in. If athletes have already played other sports this school year, then their physical is already on file.

If someone needs a physical, exams will be held in the Aquatic Center on Feb.13 from 6 to 8 p.m. It costs $30 and students must register by Feb. 5.