Seniors celebrate National Decision Day at lunch

Seniors Yohanes Mulat and Nichole Ashford pose with “2018” prop in National Decision Day photo booth

It is widely known that May 1 is the day that enrollment deposits are due for colleges. Consequently, it has also been deemed National Decision Day: the day that high school seniors officially commit to the college or military school of their choice.

College and career counselor Ms. Michelle Luraschi planned a National Decision Day event for all three lunch sessions and encouraged seniors to wear their college or military shirt. Seniors were also able to put their Pirate on the map to show where their home will be for the next four years. In addition, students got to get a cupcake for their accomplishments as well.

Senior Scott Scoopmire said the event was really fun.

“I like showing people where I’m going to college, finding out where other people are going, and the cupcakes were were pretty good, too.”

There were also some giveaways of university hats, hoodies, T-shirts, and bags. Prizes were given away to those who were the most spirited or wearing the most swag from the school of their choice.

In terms of suggestions for future years, senior Tressa Jones said, “I think it would be cool if in the future, all seniors would have lunch together.”

The photo booth was a big hit with most students. There were props such as foam fingers, “Senior 2018” signs, and cat ears to match the mascots of some of the colleges students picked.

The National Decision Day celebration made students excited for this year’s graduation to be held on May 24 at the St. Charles Family Arena and to start school at their colleges in the fall.