ACT tips for the test to be given at Pattonville on Feb. 8

Please take out your No. 2 non-mechanical pencil with a good eraser and prepare for the test. It’s a Saturday and this is not your normal test. It’s the ACT.

This Saturday, students around the area will be taking the ACT at Pattonville High School. For students who are taking it for the first time, it can be very intimidating. But there are ways to practice online.

The test consists of:

• English – 75 questions, 45 minutes: Measures standard written English and rhetorical skills.
  • Mathematics – 60 questions, 60 minutes: Measures mathematical skills students have typically acquired in courses taken up to the beginning of grade 12.
  • Reading – 40 questions, 35 minutes: Measures reading comprehension.
  • Science – 40 questions, 35 minutes: Measures the interpretation, analysis, evaluation, reasoning, and problem-solving skills required in the natural sciences.
  • Optional writing test – 1 prompt, 30 minutes: Measures writing skills emphasized in high school English classes and in entry-level college composition courses.

Students should remember when taking the test to answer every question. Scores on the multiple-choice tests are based on the number of questions answered correctly and there is no penalty for guessing. Other tips for the taking the ACT can be found here.

ID requirements have changed. Students need both a printed copy of their ticket and an acceptable photo ID to take the test. Without these, students will not be able to take the ACT.

The ACT website suggests a Test Day Checklist. These items include:

• Report to assigned test center by 8 a.m. You will not be admitted if you are late.
  • Bring a printed copy of your ticket.
  • Bring acceptable photo identification.
  • You may use a calculator on the ACT Mathematics Test but not on any of the other tests in the ACT. You are not required to use a calculator. All problems on the Mathematics Test can be solved without a calculator. Students are responsible for knowing if their calculator is permitted. Look at the ACT website for specific details. 
  • A short break is scheduled after the first two tests. You will not be allowed to use cell phones or any electronic devices during the break, and you may not eat or drink anything in the test room.
  • If you do not complete all your tests for any reason, tell a member of the testing staff whether or not you want your answer document scored before you leave the test center. If you do not, all tests attempted will be scored.

Students taking the ACT (no writing) with standard time are normally dismissed about 12:15 p.m.; students taking the ACT (writing) are usually finished about 1 p.m.

The next available test date is April 12, 2014, and the registration deadline is March 7. To register, visit the ACT website.