Upcoming Spring Sports (2011 – 2012)

Upcoming Spring Sports (2011 - 2012)
Everybody knows spring is just around the corner. And with that comes springs sports season. With games starting on Tuesday, March 20, practices have already started for the sports.
The boys’ sports consist of baseball, golf, tennis, volleyball, and track and field. The girls have soccer and track and field. Weight training is also available for anyone after school.

This year’s baseball team will be coached by Mark Hahn (head coach). The season usually consist of 18 games and two tournaments. The Pirates have won the Suburban North Conference title over a dozen times.
The year’s golf season will begin in the first week of March and will be coached by Bill Lingua (head coach). There is no freshmen level for the sport but there is a junior varsity and varsity.

The tennis season will be coached by Jeff Grass (head coach), a P.E. teacher at Holman Middle School. Anyone at any skill level is encouraged to join the team, as skills and techniques will be taught.
The volleyball season will be coached by Becky Middendorf (head coach) and is offered for freshman, JV, and varsity. The season will last from March to Mid-May.
Girls’ soccer is finally here and it will be coached by Tom Iffrig (head coach). The girls have been on a winning streak lately taking home the last four Suburban North Conference titles. And in the past four years, have made two appearances at State.
The track and field season will begin in March and end in mid-May. It is to be coached by Ada Ibe (head coach). Track and field is available on varsity, junior varsity and freshmen levels.
Staying after for weight training has been going on ever since the beginning of the school year but at the the beginning of the second semester, students have been encouraged to stay after for weight training. Coached by Steve Smith (head coach) and led by Coach Justin Smiley. The after-school weight room is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, for those in a group. Students are put into a group ranging anywhere from 3-5 p.m. and they will work out on one of three core lifts that day: push, pull or legs. Students will then max out after eight weeks to check on their progress. Students are able to begin whenever.
So there are the numerous sports and activities to join to wrap up the school year. Summer time is just around the corner and most of you like to get active before swimsuit season. “Be involved” is part of the Pirate Code – Are you?