Musical Opportunities

Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 8.46.09 AM“Band is everything,” Laura Tisone said. “They [band members] are like my second family.”

It is common for students at Pattonville to focus on athletic aspects of success, but many don’t consider the music aspect as well. There are a number of musical classes that are open for all Pattonville students, and can be essential in seizing musical opportunities.

To give Pattonville students a different aspect on musical opportunities, Tisone, a band member, provides Pattonville an inside look at the possibilities.

Band can be fundamentally beneficial in many different ways, Tisone said. It has made students like her more academically prepared because it encourages students to get their homework done and to practice the instruments they are invested in. Although there are many beneficial aspects of band, it can sometimes be time consuming. Even though it depends on the category a student places themselves in, such as woodwinds, brass, and percussion, Tisone said a band member could average 10 to 15 hours a week practicing.

Any category a student peruses in will help them prepare for the real world because they’re faced with performing independently. Tisone said she has also learned how to socialize with people at the same time, while broadening her knowledge of musical instruments. These possible instruments could include Bari Sax, Soprano Sax, Oboe, Bassoon, Trumpet, Clarinet, and many more.

“Band has prepared me for many opportunities like Pit Orchestra, Ensemble, Jazz Band, and many other aspects,” Tisone said.

Band has basically changed her for the better, and has given her opportunities that will possibly lead her to scholarships, universities, and new friendships.