Saving Money for Homecoming

Samantha Madden

Shopping for Homecoming Under $50

Shopping for a Homecoming dress, or any dress can be very stressful. I, myself would know. I went to over 10 different stores. So, to help you out, I’ve thought of 4 easy steps to help you spend less money and still look just as good for your homecoming this year.

Step 1- Dress

One thing that’s hard about shopping for dresses is the price. If you have a budget, then that will limit where you go, and what you spend. Since prom is more of a formal dance, your homecoming dress doesn’t need to be as elegant or elaborative. It should just be simple, but still have something to it.

For example, maybe you can just buy a plain black dress from Deb for $26.50. Or you could even go to Forever 21 and find a nude-colored dress for $32.80. If you’re more into something that’ll have design to it, maybe you’ll like this cheetah print dress from JC Penny for only $25. Another new trend is lace. If you’re into lace, go and buy this mint colored laced dress from Charlotte Russe for $26.99.

Step 2- Shoes

Finding shoes for a good price can be very frustrating. With your shoes, you don’t want to get a pair that are super high heels that you won’t be able to walk in, but you still want a decent sized heel to it. With shoes, try to get a plain colored pair, or maybe one with a bow on the back, just something with add a little kick to your outfit. You should ALWAYS look on the clearance first. Believe it or not, things on clearance are just as nice as things on the rack. Try going to Payless; they have a pair of cheetah heels for $12.00. Or if you have a dress that has a lot of design, and you want a pair of shoes that won’t take away from the dress, you could go to Deb and purchase a nice pair of nude colored heels for only $22.87. Or if you have plain colored dress and want your shoes to stand out, try getting a bright teal colored heel from Charlotte Russe for $14.99. Also another color that would stand out from your dress is red. A pair of red pumps from Charlotte Russe are only $17.49. Spending under $20 for a nice pair of heels that you can wear again is great! It’s a great feeling knowing you didn’t waste your money, or when you see how much you save!

Step 3- Nails

Now, time to talk about your nails. We all know getting our nails done is so much fun, and can be relaxing. But is it really worth spending $15 or more for someone to paint your nails? Maybe your not the best at painting your nails; just ask a friend to do it. Or if you want fake nails, and you don’t want to pay the price, go to Sally Beauty Supply. They have fake nails that you can buy and put on yourself for $1.99, and you can just take them off the next day, because having acrylics are a pain to take off when your nail starts growing out. Or, you could even go to Target, and buy nail polish for $4.79.

Step 4- Hair

Depending on what your dress looks like will depend on how you want to do your hair. There’s no need to go and spend over $50 for someone to do your hair when you can do it right at home. If you want something simple, you can just straighten it, tease it, and use some hairspray, and you’re good to go. If your dress is a little more fancy, you could use hair curlers or a curling iron, and give your hair some curl, and pull some back, use some hairspray and leave it. Doing your hair is one of the easiest things to do. There are so many websites,(my favorite is Pinterest) where you can look all kinds of DIY hairstyles that don’t take up much of your time.

There is one place I didn’t name, Plato’s Closet, which is another one of my favorites. Unfortunately, they don’t show what they have in store online, since they’re a retail store, but they have two locations, one in Hazelwood, and one by Mid Rivers Mall. I have bought many things from there, including a pair of Steve Madden heels for $15 when the regular price was $69.99. Saving that much money is exciting.

I hope you like my tips on how to spend less and still look good at homecoming.