Pattonville, NHS donates blood to the Red Cross

Today, Friday, October 25, National Honor Society (NHS) sponsored the American Red Cross Blood Drive. It began at 7:30 this morning and lasts until around 1:30. The blood drive is located in the Low Ceiling Room. Students have signed up at all three lunch sessions for the past three days this week. This blood drive that NHS sponsors, requires all donors to be at least 16 years of age (with a parent consent form) and for everyone to bring some form of identification. Although it is suggested that all aspiring donors have an appointment, some people who have appointments are not showing up, allowing for others to be able to fill their spots.

Unfortunately, there have been many people who have been turned away from giving blood for not meeting American Red Cross standards. These standards include weighing at least 110 pounds (boys) or 130 pounds (girls),  iron being at least 12.0, and having a high enough blood pressure and pulse. One of the workers for the American Red Cross said, “The best way to ensure that you can donate is to drink enough water and eat a good meal before coming in to donate. Without those things, we have a hard time finding good veins for you all to donate with.” If you are planning to donate today, be sure to eat a good meal and drink plenty of water in order to help those who need blood.

[portfolio_slideshow]