Students offer advice to those preparing for the ACT test

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 5.47.21 PM
The schedule for the evening ACT review classes. All classes are 6-8 p.m. English sessions meet in Room B107; Math sessions are in H208; Science classes meet in F116.

The most recent ACT took place at Pattonville High School on Saturday, Oct. 28, at 7 a.m.

Although many students groaned and complained about getting up early on their weekend, they all knew it was for a very beneficial and rewarding cause.

The ACT includes a reading, writing, English, science, and math section. For some students, this was the first time taking the test. For other students, this was the last time taking the test. One thing they all have in common is that they have helpful hints and advice for people that are planning on taking the ACT in the near future.

Most high school students are aware of the importance of the ACT and the requirement it upholds for getting into a desired college. There is no sure way of studying specific information, rather the necessary testing skills to get a great score.

Junior Morissa Husky said, “This was my first time taking the test. So I didn’t study that much. Now I can take the ACT classes at Pattonville and focus on specific sections.”

For other students, this was their last attempt at taking the ACT.

In all honesty, the best way to prepare is to take advantage of the ACT classes like Husky stated. Other studying tools could be the countless preparation books from any local bookstore, or private tutoring on specific sections.

“This was my fourth and last time taking the test. I would tell people not to be nervous and get a good night sleep. You can always take it again,” senior Jennifer Baker said.

Something that many students had in common was the difficulty level of the reading section of the ACT.

The reading section requires test takers to read a series of short stories and apply the information to critical thinking questions.

Junior Jake Stahlhut gives great advice by saying, “Make sure you get enough sleep, eat well, and have a positive outlook. It isn’t as intimidating as you think, and now I can focus on areas I really need help in.”

For many students, they recommend taking the ACT several times to get the best score possible. Overall, the most important aspect for taking the ACT is to prepare the best you can and try your absolute hardest.