Pattonville named among top high schools in state and U.S.

graduationPRESS RELEASE

Pattonville High School was named among the top high schools in Missouri and the nation on U.S. News and World Report’s 2015 Best High Schools ranking. Pattonville earned a bronze medal in this year’s rankings. Based on U.S News and World Report’s methodology, Pattonville’s results placed it at No. 30 out of 533 high schools in Missouri (the Top 6 percent in the state). This is the second time Pattonville earned a spot on U.S. News and World Report’s Top High Schools list.

“Pattonville High School continues to be a high-achieving school because our students and staff work hard every day to achieve their goals,” said Dr. Joe Dobrinic, principal. “We believe every student deserves a great future, and we strive to prepare them for college and careers in a world that’s constantly changing.”

U.S. News evaluated 21,150 public high schools in the nation. Schools were awarded gold, silver or bronze medals based on state proficiency standards and how well they prepare students for college. Only the Top 6,500-plus schools received one of these medals (23 percent of schools in the nation and 34 percent in Missouri). Only silver and gold medal winners were given a state and/or national numerical ranking.

U.S. News used a three-step screening process in order to select the Best High Schools. The first two steps were designed to ensure that the schools serve all of their students well, using performance on state standardized tests as the benchmarks. During the first step, schools had to demonstrate that their students performed better than statistically expected for the average student in the state based on reading and math test results. Schools which made it past the first step were evaluated based on whether the school’s least-advantaged students were performing better than average for similar students in the state.

Schools which made it past the first two steps became eligible to be judged nationally on the final step – college readiness performance. This criteria used advanced placement (AP) or international baccalaureate test data as benchmarks for success, depending which was the largest at the school. Pattonville was evaluated based on its AP data, including participation rate and AP test data. AP is a College Board program that offers college-level courses at high schools across the country.

Click here to see Missouri’s Best High Schools Ranking list.

-End-