Teachers decorate classroom doors to encourage college spirit

Nadia Maddex, Yearbook Activities Editor

Ms. Jacqueline Saxton decorates her classroom door in the upper D-wing.

Teachers are decorating their classroom doors with college memorabilia and encouraging words about college to get students excited about Apply to College and Military Week.

College counselor Ms. Michelle Luraschi said Apply to College and Military Week is a week dedicated to getting students to start or complete their applications as well as file financial aid early.

Teachers and staff are helping to support students who are applying for college by talking with them about opportunities after high school.

History teacher Ms. Jacqueline Saxton is very excited to participate in the classroom door decorating competition.

“I love Truman and I am very proud of my university. I would love for my students to go there and I feel like it’s such a great school but so under-represented,” Saxton said.

At the bottom of the door, she plans to add pictures of students she had in the past who currently go to Truman. Each student will send a picture of themselves and a quote that contains their favorite thing about the school.

“I want them to tell me about their experience and hopefully it will create some buzz.”

Teachers are being encouraged to wear college or military gear all week to signify the opening of the FAFSA and free college application sessions with UMSL, SIUE, Maryville, SLU, Fontbonne, Northwest Missouri and others.

On Monday, a College Tailgate was held during all lunches with mascots from area schools.

On Tuesday evening, Luraschi is hosting FAFSA Frenzy in B208 from 6:30-8 p.m. which will provide students and families free expert assistance filing the financial aid application.

Teachers are getting creative and decorating their door with their college or military spirit.  One winner will be selected from the high school and from Positive School on Tuesday afternoon.  The winning teacher or staff member will receive donuts for their homeroom class or department on Oct 12.  

“I like this opportunity because I get to inform my students on such a great school and also about the message to apply,” Saxton said. “The donuts made it even sweeter.”