End-of-Course Exams begin Nov. 27

Maria Vincent, Staff writer

As the semester nears an end at Patttonville, stress levels and work loads rise. Next week marks the beginning of EoCs. End-of-Course exams are required by the Missouri Department of Education to graduate for the following classes: Algebra I, English II, Biology, and Government. If Algebra I was taken before entering high school, an Algebra II EoC is then required instead.

An EoC covers all the material learned thus far in class and counts as a large portion of a student’s grade which can cause major changes depending on the score obtained.

Senior Kassidy Pemberton is preparing for the Government EoC by studying the things she has learned in class.

“I’m not too stressed. EoCs are a really important part of your grade but if you have been paying attention in class, you should be fine.”

She is going to be taking the Government EoC in Ms. Korte’s class on Thursday.

“I’m going to do everything I can to study for it. I plan on completing the study guide and reviewing Kahoots and Quizlets,” Pemberton said. “It’s really important to get a good night’s rest so you can really focus.”

However, there is a potential upside to having an End-of-Course exam. Traditionally, if students do well enough on it, they get exempt from taking the final exam in that class. EoCs are usually easier than final exams, but teachers allow a student to still take the final if they need a grade boost.

The modified schedule for next week will be as follows: