Sign up now to participate in the Polar Plunge

Hannah Hohenstein and her friends participate in the Polar Plunge in 2017.

Are you ready to get cold? Be ready to get “unbearably” cold. The annual Polar Plunge event is scheduled for Feb. 24, 2018.

Taking place on a Saturday, this event is a unique opportunity to show one’s bravery as they show support to the local Special Olympics athletes by walking, running or crawling into the frigid winter waters that Missouri has to offer.

Hannah Hohenstein, a Polar Plunge participant for the past four years, said she got interested in the event because of a family member.

“I participate in the Polar Plunge because my aunt used to do it and I thought it looked cool to try out.”

This event is held locally at Creve Coeur Lake, just 3.5 miles from the high school. Participants will raise money for the Special Olympics organization prior to their freezing plunge into the water.

“It is also such a good cause to support and I love the idea of raising money to help people, especially the Special Olympic athletes,” Hohenstein said.

The theme for the 2018 Polar Plunge is Olympics, so people will be dressing up in ancient Greek costumes or anything symbolizing the ancient Greek times, because this is where the Olympics were originated.

Participants must be at least 10 years of age and they are also required to raise a minimum of $75 each before the event day comes up.

Student Council is organizing the event, but all Pattonville High School students and staff are invited to participate in this event.

Contact the Student Council sponsors, Ms. Jacqueline Saxton or Ms. Heather Lopez, to sign up.